"AMERICANISM”....is the unfailing love of Country, loyalty to its institutions and ideals, eagerness to defend it against all enemies, undivided allegiance to the Flag, and a desire to secure the blessings of liberty for ourselves and for posterity”. As American citizens and members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, we know what Americanism stands for. It was, and is still, our responsibility to defend the United States in a time of peace as it is in time of war, foreign or domestic. By practicing Americanism we show our love of Country and must do so.
As veterans we should promote and participate in Americanism every day of every year. There are many things a Post, a District and an individual can do to promote Americanism. Here are just a few ideas. I am sure you can think of many more.
• Fly the American Flag every day at your Post Home or at your private residence.
• Present Flags to different organizations or if you see a tattered flag, donate a new one
• Hold flag etiquette sessions with various other organizations
• Encourage individuals to be informed by studying political issues and get out the vote.
• Furnish Color Guards for Civic Programs, athletic events and Memorial Services
• Remember Memorial Day, Independence Day, Patriot’s Day, POW/MIA Recognition Day, Pearl Harbor Day, Loyalty Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day and other memorial military days from our Nation’s past.
"'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded."
If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
Nobody, as long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life, is without trouble.